Monday, April 7, 2014

Without A Trace

We have enough paper and pencils in my house we could build a 5,000 square foot home out of them alone.  We also have so many staples and paperclips, we could use them to "nail" the walls together.  But if you need a rubber band, you won't find one at our house.  No matter how many boxes of them I buy, they seem to vanish into thin air.

rubber bands, humor

The situation has become so dire, I have resorted to saving the rubber bands the door-to-door solicitors use to hang junk mail onto our front door.  But within 24 hours, even those rubber bands will have disappeared. 

Before we had kids, we had rubber bands coming out our ears.  I used to think they were asexual and completely capable of self-reproduction.  I would put 1 in the drawer where we kept office supplies, open it the next day and there would be 200 of them. 

Now that we have kids, it seems as though the rubber bands disappear within minutes of arrival.  I thought it might be my children taking them for craft projects.  After a thorough search of every nook and cranny of their rooms, there is no sign of them.

It's as though the rubber bands are either hiding from us or committing suicide by throwing themselves in a recycle bin somewhere.  My children are pretty sure the most likely scenario though is they are disappearing due to alien abduction.  Apparently the aliens steal everything that disappears in our house.  Too bad they don't steal the Legos left in the middle of the floor at night.

For Christmas this year, my daughter got one of those rubber band looms.  By the day after Christmas, 2 packages of her prized glittery rubber bands had run for the hills.  I guess the thought of being woven into a bracelet was more than they could handle and they departed as quickly as they arrived.  Or it could be the aliens discovered the beauty of glitter.

I imagine one day the rubber band's hiding place will be discovered.  I'm hoping when it is, we'll also find our boxes of letter-size envelopes which have also gone missing.......... and maybe some of the socks that disappeared in the dryer.....

Written by Christie Bielss

No comments :

Post a Comment