Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Iron Men vs Athletes

football, athlete, NFL job, dishwasher    trash, waste management, garbage

Lately around my house our discussions have revolved around news reports of local sports figures.  From basketball, to football, to baseball, it's about this athlete, or that coach, or something about a team's owner, it's the talk of the town.  Sports is a given for part of our daily conversation because both my husband and I do like sports, but I started thinking (always dangerous!) and wondered why sports figures and celebrities capture most of our attention while the people who make life more comfortable for us we completely disregard.  Shouldn't we focus at least some of our attention on the "dirty jobs" people of the world? 

Imagine if instead of giving so much tv time to men who get paid big bucks to play childrens' games and then act like spoiled 2 year olds, ESPN's SportsCenter produces an end-0f-week wrap-up using "dirty jobs" workers showcasing their sports talents.  Trash collectors could do a flash mob dance for having de-stinkified a city.  Isn't tossing trash bags similar to the shot put?  They could dance gangnam style to Hank Williams, Jr. performing his "All My Rowdy Friends" song.  Or maybe the sewer or septic tank cleaner people could do their best impersonation of Michael Jackson's moonwalk after having cleared someone's clogged septic line or city sewer pipes of ........ ickiness.  This job seems akin to shuffle board or tug-of-war.  The ground they stand on would certainly provide a surface conducive to easily sliding their feet for the dance and the song "Thriller" seems appropriate.   Or how about about a dishwasher jumping into the arms of the waiters/waitresses after he's finished cleaning all the dishes in a restaurant, like players do into the stands when they score a touchdown.  After all, isn't flinging dishes around in a kitchen similar to the discus throw?  I think the "Rocky" theme song might be appropriate.

Honestly, I don't know how these men do these jobs - but shouldn't giant kudos go out to them? Aren't these men the everyday equivalents of Iron Men?  They may not be able to pull a 747 by themselves but I know I'd never make it climbing onto the back of a garbage truck before the stench of the truck itself would either make me toss my cookies or I'd pass out, especially during a hot Texas summer.  And if I did actually make it onto the truck, I'm sure I wouldn't last long with having to heft people's garbage and do step-aerobics getting on/off the truck all day.  I'm huffing and puffing after 10 minutes just watching Richard Simmons exercise in "Sweating to the Oldies". 

And how do people react to the guy who works for the city sewer or septic tank company when they find out what his occupation is?  Do they immediately take a step back, start mouth breathing, and douse themselves in the nearest hand-sanitizer?  Would they be looking at his shoes to make sure he didn't bring a little bit of "work" home with him?  But without his services, we'd still be using outhouses.  I've never used an outhouse but I had to use a Port-A-Potty once and have been scarred for life ever since.

As for the dishwasher, well, I don't even like washing the dinner dishes for my own family, much less for hundreds of people at a restaurant.  By the end of my shift, I'm sure I'd be screaming for Marge from the old Palmolive commercials to come and treat my dishpan hands, or maybe for Calgon to take me awaaaayyyyyy.

These occupations, as well as many others, could be a weekly piece of tv sports broadcasting that I would definitely make sure to tune in to.  When you think of all the contributions these people make that help to ensure our everyday comfort, health and well-being, it leaves you wondering where we'd be as a society without them.  I'm thinking we might still be living in caves, dragging our knuckles, and grunting.

by: Christie Bielss

No comments :

Post a Comment