Friday, April 5, 2013

A Study in Hearts Beating as One

love, in love, heart, hearts, beating, beat, study

A psychology professor out of UC Davis recently released a  study on couples in romantic relationships.  He found that when couples were sitting several feet apart and facing one another, but not touching or speaking, their heart rates were in-sync and they breathed in and out at the same intervals.  When moved apart, their bodies continued to stay as one. 

When these same couples were switched with unfamiliar partners, none of their heart rates or respirations were in-sync.  They also discovered in the course of this study that women adjusted their body's heart rate and breathing more to fit their partner's than men's bodies do.

In other words, when we are together with the right partner, our bodies are in perfect harmony, and the woman picks up her partner's slack so they stay in harmony.  

I can see that last theory because even after being together for nearly 25 years, my husband and I work together:  he leaves the toilet seat up and I put it down.  He sets a fresh roll of toilet paper right on top of the empty cardboard tube and I replace it.  He will hand me my raincoat and the dog leash with his free hand, while using the remote to change tv channels with his other, when the dog needs to go for a walk on a rainy day.  

And our heart rates can really get in-sync when I discover I'm the only person in the house who knows that the dirty dishes go in the dishwasher.  Or, when there is one piece of chocolate left and he picks it up, you can bet we are in perfect sync then.

As for our respirations, I'm sure they have been in perfect harmony many times, especially when the kids were babies.  While holding his breath, he would hand me a stinky baby who desperately needed a diaper change, which would cause me to hold my breath.  

See, perfect harmony. It's good to know schools are still conducting great informational studies like this one.

by: Christie Bielss

No comments :

Post a Comment