Thursday, January 16, 2014

I Found It!

It happened.  It finally happened.  After several months of longing, of searching site after site, of looking at everything from magazines to decorator's websites, I finally found it.  I didn't think I would.  I thought it would always be just outside of my grasp and I would always long for it.  I was prepared to settle.  I even looked at lesser alternatives in hopes they could pacify my need...... my selfish desire.......... to have just this one thing that was not only perfect, but oh so lovely. 

Sligh, mahogany


And then it happened!  Without warning, up it popped on Craigslist!  I couldn't believe my eyes! There before my eyes was a desk so very similar to the one I'd been drooling over!  How could this be?!  It was almost exactly like the brand new one, but at a price which was not only astonishing, but affordable!

Could I email fast enough to be first in line?  The thought of having someone beat me to the punch was gut-wrenching.  To know that I'd found it, that I could afford it now, only to have someone rip the rug out from under me could've pushed me over the edge.  I typed that email with lightning speed and quickly hit "send".

And then the wait started.  Every 10 minutes I checked my email that evening waiting for the reply.  I stayed up until 11pm in hopes I would see the reply, but nothing appeared.  During the night, with every shift in the bed, I would grab my phone and check my messages.  Nothing.

At 6am the next morning, I couldn't take it any longer and sent another email using a different email service.  And I waited again.  As I drove my kids to school, my daughter kept checking my email every few seconds....... nothing.

I drove myself to my doctor's appointment that morning and checked my email at an extraordinarily/ridiculously long stoplight on the way to the doctor's office.  Nothing.  I arrived at the doctor's office, checked in, sat down, and looked at my phone.  There it was!  The reply I'd been waiting for.

The excitement mixed with fear nearly overwhelmed me.  I was now actually afraid to open the email.  How was I going to be able to control myself and not start crying in the waiting lounge if the seller told me the desk was already sold?!  How would I be able to control myself and not start crying (see a pattern here?) if the seller told me I was first in line for the desk?

With baited breath I clicked to open the message.  As I was waiting those milliseconds for the email to load, the nurse called my name.  Are you kidding me?!  I quickly grabbed my things and walked to the nurse with my phone in-hand watching and waiting for that email to load.  The nurse, who knows me quite well, looked at me and asked if everything was alright since I never have my phone out at the doctor's office.

As we walked to the room, the email finally loaded.  That first sentence had me leaping in the air.  "Yes, it is still available....".  I was first up for the desk!  The nurse giggled and told me to quickly reply before someone else could snag it.

The desk was mine!  With great excitement I picked it up and brought it home.  It took 4 of us to unload it from the car and bring it into the house.  Yes, it was that heavy!  We gently placed it into what will be my office. Even that ugly unfinished room took on an almost heavenly aura with the mere presence of such a distinguished and stylist desk.

And now the great office makeover begins.  Stay tuned as I show you glimpses of how I am progressing.  With the addition of the desk though, this makeover may happen a whole lot quicker than I first anticipated.  Yippee!!!

Christie Bielss

No comments :

Post a Comment